Pineapple curry with Sri Lankan flavours.
Here’s how to cook the best Pineapple curry for your family.
If you are looking for a savoury pineapple recipe your family will love, then this easy 30-minute curry recipe should do it.
This tasty pineapple curry recipe is,
- A vegetarian curry
- Savoury vegan curry
- The pineapple curry is a delicious addition to your dinner or lunch.
If you already make delicious curries then you already have all the ingredients to make this pineapple curry dish.
A mild curry cooked using pineapple and coconut milk/cream.
The taste of the Pineapple coconut curry sauce.
With all that natural sweetness and acidity in pineapple, you’ll expect the pineapple curry recipe to retain the same flavours but it doesn’t.
When it’s cooked, this low carb Pineapple dish loses its natural sweetness and acidity making it a great side dish for meat and seafood.
The fruit almost tastes like another vegetable dish that can certainly make a great accompaniment for your meatless meals as well.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
What to serve with pineapple curry.
- Main dish to serve with pineapple curry.
- Meat dishes to serve with pineapple curry.
- Other vegetarian side dishes to serve with Pineapple curry.
- Sri Lankan Beetroot Curry(vegetarian, vegan).
- Sri Lankan fried eggplant/brinjal salad.
- Eggplant sweet and sour curry(Sri Lankan brinjal pahi).
- vegan green beans and coconut stir-fry.
- spicy green beans stir-fry(bonchi thel dala).
Frequently asked questions about Pineapple curry recipe.
- Can I use canned Pineapple to make the curry?
- You can even use the pineapple juice to flavour the gravy but let it simmer longer on low fire so the gravy thickens before adding the chunks of pineapple.
- Make sure not to overcook and turn them too soft.
- Can I use the core to make the Sri Lankan pineapple curry?
- Yes. you can use the core as well.
- Can I make this mild pineapple curry spicier?
- Yes, at the time of adding turmeric powder, add 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder and 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder for a more intense curry flavour.
- You’ll find the link for a spicy pineapple curry below, under pineapple recipes.
How to choose Pineapple to make this pineapple curry recipe.
- Make sure to take your time choosing the right pineapple because you don’t want to bring the pineapple home and find out it’s too ripe
- Especially when you are in a rush and the way these fruits are stacked, makes it difficult to choose at a glance.
- Check the leafy crown, the leaves should not be yellow but green.
- Check the skin of the pineapple, it should have a combination of yellow and green but mostly green.
- Avoid pineapple that is too yellow near the crown or at the bottom. it’s always safer to buy a greener pineapple, bring it home and let it ripen for a day and then use it.
- When you press into the pineapple it should not have any give in, especially at the bottom and top.
- The easiest way to check if the pineapple is overripe is to smell the bottom of the pineapple if you do get the sweet, acidic smell that is pungent and lingers then the pineapple is close to rotting.
- If you are buying organic pineapple at the supermarket, avoid the fruits that are placed under direct sunlight.
More Pineapple recipes!
- Spicy Pineapple curry Sinhalese style.
- Pineapple chutney.
- Pineapple salsa(fresh and easy to make).
- Pineapple chicken fried rice.
- Zesty pineapple-cabbage slaw.
- Cucumber-pineapple-melon salad.
How to make Pineapple curry
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make Pineapple curry
1 medium-sized Pineapple cleaned and cut into thick cubes
3 tablespoons of oil
a sprig of curry leaves
1 large onion cut into slices
1 green chilli chopped
3 cardamom pods slightly bruised
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup of coconut milk
1 teaspoon sugar(optional)
A quick guide on how to cut a pineapple.
Have a bowl ready to hold the discarded skin of the pineapple.
Cut off the crown and the bottom stem.
If your Pineapple is large and long, cut it in half. this makes it easier to remove the skins.
Keep the pineapple in a standing position and slowly trim the skin.
Running the knife from top to bottom. make sure to trim ONLY the skin.
Once you trim the skin, it’s time to remove the eyes.
Use a smaller, sharper, thin knife to do this.
There are two ways to do this.
You will notice that the eyes run diagonal pattern on the flesh of the fruit.
Place the pairing knife diagonally, slightly slanted.
Keeping the eye in the middle, run the knife on both sides on a v-shape and cut out the eyes.
Once done the pineapple will look like the below image.
This method takes a little time but will help you avoid taking out extra fresh off the pineapple.
Cut them into 1/2 inch round slices first.
And then, cut around the outer edges of the pineapple cutting off the eyes.
Once done, cut them into thick cubes or chunks so they withstand the cooking heat better.
How to cook the pineapple curry.
Place pan over medium fire, pour in the oil(3 tbs) and heat it for a few seconds.
Add curry leaves(a sprig), onions(1 large), green chillies(1), cardamom(3), turmeric powder(1 tsp)
(see notes above for a spicier Pineapple curry).
Cook the ingredients for 5 minutes over low heat until the onions slices turn translucent.
Add the mustard seeds(1/2 tsp)to the pan just as the onions are turning slightly brown and saute for three minutes over medium heat.
Add the Pineapple to the tempered ingredients.
Reduce heat to low and combine with the tempered ingredients in the pan for 5 minutes.
Season with salt while the pineapple cooks.
Maintaining low heat, pour in the coconut milk(1 cup).
Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pineapple cubes turn soft, season with salt if needed.
If you want to add a bit of sweetness to the curry, add the quantity of sugar mentioned above and stir the curry before removing it from the fire.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
Sri Lankan-mildly spiced Pineapple curry(vegetarian, vegan).
A coconut milk Pineapple curry cooked in 30 minutes.
The fruit curry fits into all types of diets as well, from vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free to low-carb.
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 1 medium-sized Pineapple cleaned and cut into thick cubes
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- a sprig of curry leaves
- 1 large onion cut into slices
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 3 cardamom pods slightly bruised
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar(optional)
A QUICK GUIDE ON HOW TO CUT A PINEAPPLE.
- Have a bowl ready to hold the discarded skin of the pineapple.
- Cut off the crown and the bottom stem.
- If your Pineapple is large and long, cut it in half. this makes it easier to remove the skins.
- Keep the pineapple in a standing position and slowly trim the skin.
- Running the knife from top to bottom. make sure to trim ONLY the skin.
- Once you trim the skin, it’s time to remove the eyes.
- Use a smaller, sharper, thin knife to do this.
- There are two ways to do this.
- You will notice that the eyes run diagonal pattern on the flesh of the fruit.
- Place the pairing knife diagonally, slightly slanted.
- Keeping the eye in the middle, run the knife on both sides on a v-shape and cut out the eyes.
- Once done the pineapple will look like the below image.
- This method takes a little time but will help you avoid taking out extra fresh off the pineapple.
- Cut them into 1/2 inch round slices first.
- And then, cut around the outer edges of the pineapple cutting off the eyes.
- Once done, cut them into thick cubes or chunks so they withstand the cooking heat better.
HOW TO MAKE THE PINEAPPLE CURRY.
- Place pan over medium fire, pour in the oil(3 tbs), and heat it for a few seconds.
- Add curry leaves(a sprig), onions(1 large), green chillies(1), cardamom(3), turmeric(1tsp). (see notes above for a spicier pineapple curry).
- Cook the ingredients for 5 minutes over low heat until the onion slices turn translucent.
- Add the mustard seeds(1/2tsp) to the pan just as the onions are turning slightly brown and sauté for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the Pineapple to the tempered ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low and combine with the tempered ingredients in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt while the pineapple cooks.
- Maintaining low heat, pour in the coconut milk(1 cup).
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pineapple cubes turn soft, season with salt if needed.
- If you want to add a bit of sweetness to the curry, add the quantity of sugar mentioned above and stir the curry before removing it from the fire.
- Serve warm with rice and curry.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a percentage from qualifying purchases.
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
KIZEN Digital Meat Thermometer with Probe - Waterproof, Kitchen Instant Read Food Thermometer for Cooking, Baking, Liquids, Candy, Grilling BBQ & Air Fryer - Black/White
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
ESLITE LIFE Deep Frying Pan with Lid Nonstick Saute Pan with Granite Coating, 11 Inch (5 Quart)
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Fullstar Vegetable Chopper - Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer - Onion Chopper with Container - Pro Food Chopper - Black Slicer Dicer Cutter - 4 Blades
Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Spice/Coffee Grinder Mill with Large Grinding Capacity and HD Motor also for Spices, Herbs, Nuts, Grains, White
Spring Chef Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Dual Sided, Stainless Steel, Fits in Spice Jars, Black, Set of 8
Spice Container - Masala Dabba - 7 Compartments, masala box,steel masala dabba,Spice container box,stainless steel spice box indian masala dabba with 7 spice containers with size 8 X 8 inches (1)
EZ Off Jar Opener - Under Cabinet Jar Lid & Bottle Opener - Opens Any Size Jar - Great for Arthritis - Perfect for Seniors & Weak Hands
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
Aroy-d Coconut Milk 100% Original Net 8.5 Oz.(pack of 12)
Organic Turmeric Powder - 1LB Jar - 100% Raw w/Curcumin From India - by Jiva Organics
Naturally Grown Curry Leaves Whole Air Dried 0.7 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information on islandsmile is provided as a courtesy. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on the site. these figures should only be considered as estimates.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog. I would appreciate if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.
Sunday 20th of March 2022
Absolutely banging this! I paired it with a beetroot curry and it was a great combination. Thank you for sharing
Monday 21st of March 2022
Hi Stephen, Thank you for trying out the recipe, glad you loved this recipe. You might want to try the pineapple chutney and the spicy pineapple curry if you loved this recipe. can you also be kind enough to rate this recipe? Thank you! Regards J
Saturday 5th of February 2022
Hi Jehan, is it green or black cardamoms? And would you use the pods as well, or just the seeds inside? Thanks!
Wednesday 9th of February 2022
Hi May, sorry for the late reply. It's green cardamom and slightly bruise it before adding to the pineapple curry. regards, J
Sunday 25th of April 2021
Really easy and makes a nice change. Too sweet for us, probably the pineapples we get in uk are not great. Or maybe the cocOnut milk had been sweetened.
Monday 26th of April 2021
Hi Zac, thank you for trying out the recipe. this pineapple curry is not sweet, I think it can be coconut milk. did you use coconut cream, although we don't have coconut cream here I've heard it's sweet. If you want a spicier version, just search for spicy pineapple curry Sinhalese style. Hope this helps. Regards, J
Mel of Mels Davao Food Tour
Monday 8th of February 2021
We loved it. Added ripe jackfruit to it. The curry leaves gave it a nice fragrance. Then I topped it with shrimps. Will cook this again.
Tuesday 9th of February 2021
Hi Mel, Glad you liked it. haven't tried adding jackfruit with my pineapple curry. but I love the idea of shrimp in it. Regards, J
Monday 11th of May 2020
this was great--easy to do--super yum--made with beetroot curry--loads of colour on the table many thanks--
Monday 11th of May 2020
Hi Dan, Glad you enjoyed the pineapple curry. you are most welcome. Regards J