Carrot and beans curry is a Sri Lankan dish and a quick and easy vegetarian, vegan curry.
A coconut milk-based curry with creamy coconut gravy.
Mildly spiced recipe for kids to enjoy or to accompany spicy meat curries on your menu.
carrot and beans curry, a vegetarian curry.
Here’s a great way to get the kids and adults alike to enjoy their vegetables.
The beans and carrots cooked in the rich creaminess of the Coconut milk curry add additional flavour.
If you have picky eaters who move their vegetables to the edge of their plate, try serving this dish.
It’s also a great way to introduce curries to their meals.
TRY THIS-serve a bowl of rice, add this vegetable milk curry, and Poppadoms crushed over it.
This was my no-fuss meal for the kids when they were young.
What to serve with carrot beans curry.
You can add this vegetarian carrot and beans curry to any of your rice and curry menus.
Try this vegetarian recipe with,
- Rice dishes to serve with any of the following rice recipes.
- Vegetarian dishes you can pair with carrots and beans curry.
- Meat, seafood, chicken vegetarian curries to pair with this carrot and beans curry.
save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
Utensils and appliances needed
Chopping board and knife.
medium-sized cooking pan.
More carrot and beans recipes
- Carrot stir fry
- Carrot coconut stir fry
- Vegan green beans and coconut stir fry
- Beef and green bean stir fry.
- Spicy green bean stir fry
Storage– Store in an air-tight container, use old or glass containers. refrigerate and consume within 3 days.
Reheating– can be reheated over stovetop and microwave.
How to cook a carrot and Beans curry
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
The ingredients to make the carrot beans curry.
250g of beans
3 tablespoons of oil
a sprig of curry leaves
2-3 garlic cloves sliced thin
1 medium-sized onion finely sliced
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon of chili flecks(optional)
1/2 cup of Water
1/2 cup of thick Coconut milk
How to cut the carrots and beans.
Trim Beans(250g), cut lengthwise exposing the seeds inside and set aside.
Cut the top and the end of the carrots(250g) and peel the skin, then cut them into thin circles and halve them. set aside.
Place a pan over medium heat, pour oil(3 tbsp).
Add the curry leaves( a sprig), onions(1 medium), and garlic slices(2-3 cloves sliced).
Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they turn translucent.
Add turmeric powder(1 tsp), and mustard seeds(1 tsp), and temper all the ingredients in the pan until they turn slightly golden brown.
Include the carrots and sauté with the onions and spices for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Add the beans to the curry and sauté for a further 3 minutes, season with salt.
Pour in the water(1/2 a cup)and let the curry simmer for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
Once the water reduces by half, pour in the coconut milk(1/2 a cup)and cook until gravy turns thick over medium heat.
Depending on how much of the thick gravy you need, remove the curry from the stove and season with salt if necessary.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
Carrots and green Beans curry(Sri Lankan, vegetarian).
Carrots and green Beans curry(Sri Lankan, vegetarian).A coconut milk based curry.
Mildly spiced recipe for kids to enjoy or to accompany spicy meat curries in your menu.
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 250g of beans
- 250g carrots
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- a sprig of curry leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 1 medium-sized onion finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flecks(optional)
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk
How to cut the carrots and beans.
- Trim Beans(250g), cut lengthwise exposing the seeds inside and set aside.
- Cut the top and the end of the carrots(250g) and peel the skin, then cut them into thin circles and halve them. set aside.
How to cook the carrot beans curry.
- Place a pan over medium heat, pour oil(3 tbsp), add the curry leaves( a sprig), onions(1 medium), and garlic slices(2-3 cloves sliced).
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they turn translucent.
- Add turmeric powder(1 tsp), mustard seeds(1 tsp), and temper all the ingredients in the pan until they turn slightly golden brown.
- Include the carrots and sauté with the onions and spices for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the beans to the curry and sauté for a further 3 minutes, season with salt.
- Pour in the water(1/2 a cup)and let the curry simmer for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the water reduces by half, pour in the coconut milk(1/2 a cup)and cook until gravy turns thick over medium heat.
- Depending on how much of the thick gravy you need, remove the curry from the stove season with salt if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
KIZEN Digital Meat Thermometer with Probe - Waterproof, Kitchen Instant Read Food Thermometer for Cooking, Baking, Liquids, Candy, Grilling BBQ & Air Fryer - Black/White
Spice Container - Masala Dabba - 7 Compartments, masala box,steel masala dabba,Spice container box,stainless steel spice box indian masala dabba with 7 spice containers with size 8 X 8 inches (1)
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Organic Turmeric Powder - 1LB Jar - 100% Raw w/Curcumin From India - by Jiva Organics
Naturally Grown Curry Leaves Whole Air Dried 0.7 oz
Aroy-d Coconut Milk 100% Original Net 8.5 Oz.(pack of 12)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes, or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.
Friday 31st of January 2020
We love this recipe in our house. It's my go to curry for my young daughter. This and fish/chicken etc.
Saturday 1st of February 2020
Hi Subodhini, glad you love the recipe and thank you for letting me know. much appreciated. regards J