Cabbage mallung or cabbage and coconut sambol is a healthy cabbage recipe made in 20 minutes.
Vegan, vegetarian, low-carb, gluten-free.
With just five ingredients and 20 minutes of preparation, you can easily make this cabbage and coconut sambol as a side dish to any of your main meals.
What to serve with cabbage mallung(cabbage and coconut sambol).
- Pair the cabbage recipe with rice.
- Other vegetarian dishes to serve with the cabbage mallung.
- Meat, poultry, and fish curries to serve with the cabbage coconut sambol.
Best tips to make cabbage mallung.
- Green or white cabbage can be used to make this quick cabbage sambol.
- If you are unable to find freshly scraped coconut then use dehydrated coconut flakes or desiccated coconut, these work well for an emergency or substitute.
- Maintain low-medium heat throughout the cooking process and constantly stir to avoid the coconut flakes from burning.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as well as the spiciness of the cabbage dish as you cook it.
Utensils and appliances to make the cabbage recipe.
Knife and chopping board
Skillet or frying pan.
More cabbage recipes!
Cabbage mallung(Sri Lankan gova mallum).
Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make the cabbage recipe.
4 tablespoons of oil
4 curry leaves
1 large onion finely sliced
3 garlic pods cut into fine slivers
1/4 turmeric powder
A small piece of cinnamon
1/2 a head or 400-500g cabbage
2 green chillies cut
1 cup freshly grated coconut
Slice the cabbage, onions and garlic separately.
Place a pan over medium heat, pour the oil and leave it to heat for a few seconds.
Add the curry leaves followed by onions, garlic, cinnamon, and turmeric.
Gently leave it to temper until they soften which will take about 2 minutes.
Add the sliced cabbage, and salt to taste. mix in with the tempered ingredients while letting it wilt over the heat for another 2-5 minutes depending on how soft you want the Cabbages to be.
Gradually mix in the coconut and green chillies, mix everything well and cook for another minute.
Add Salt and a dash of lime if necessary, remove from heat and you are done.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG
- Please make sure to read the recipe instructions carefully to avoid mistakes.
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 3 garlic pods cut into fine slivers
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- A small piece of Cinnamon
- 1/2 a head or 400-500g of cabbage
- 2 green chillies cut
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- Slice the cabbage, onions and garlic separately.
- Place a pan over medium heat, pour the oil and leave it to heat for a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, onions, garlic, cinnamon, and turmeric.
- Gently leave it to temper until they soften which will take about 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced cabbage, and salt to taste and mix in with the tempered ingredients while letting it wilt over the heat for another 2-5 minutes depending on how soft you want the cabbages to be.
- Gradually mix in the coconut and green chillies, mix everything well and cook for another minute.
- Add salt and a dash of lime if necessary, remove from heat and you are done.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coconut Grater Scraper Shredder (With Free Blade Cover) Hand Operated Rotating Kitchen Grater.
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
WObell Meat Thermometer for Kitchen Cooking Digital Instant Read Food Thermometer for Candy Oil Deep Frying Baking Outdoor Cooking Grilling BBQ Smoker Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet
12" Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with 100% APEO & PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany
Home Kitchen Magnetic Knife Block Holder Rack Magnetic Stands with Strong Enhanced Magnets Multifunctional Storage Knife Holder
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 11740Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4062mgCarbohydrates: 2771gFiber: 953gSugar: 1404gProtein: 636g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
With you in mind, each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.