Pickled cabbage slaw is the easiest salad made with finely chopped cabbage tossed in a sweet, sour and spicy vinaigrette.
15 minutes and with half a head of chopped cabbage will give you a side dish to serve as a topping or side dish salad.
Once pickled this spicy pickled cabbage tastes almost like a spicy achaaru.
Serving ideas for cabbage slaw recipe.
This spicy cabbage slaw can be topped with hot dogs and tacos.
- Serve as a side dish to your baked meat dishes or appetizers. here are a few to pair with the cabbage slaw.
- I’ve served the spicy cabbage slaw.
Best tips to make spicy cabbage slaw.
- Make sure to chop the cabbage fine so they soak in the spicy vinaigrette.
- Let the chopped cabbage rest in the vinaigrette for at least 30 to 1 hour for maximum flavour.
- You can serve the cabbage slaw cold or at room temperature.
- To make the Spicy cabbage slaw ahead of time. make the vinaigrette a few days ahead of time or make a large batch of it and refrigerate it. you can also make the pickled cabbage slaw several hours before serving time and refrigerate. remove the cabbage slaw 30 minutes before serving time, give it a good toss and serve.
Utensils and appliances needed.
More Cabbage recipes
RECIPE DIFFICULTY -EASY
How to make the pickled cabbage slaw
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredient for the cabbage slaw
1 small head of green or white cabbage(about 250g-300g)
1/2 cup of white vinegar(any type of mild white vinegar)
1/4 cup of sugar(adjust by increasing or decreasing the amount of sugar)
2 teaspoons of red chilli powder(reduce to 1 for less heat)
1/2 teaspoon of red chill flakes
1 very small scotch bonnet chilli chopped fine(for extra heat, avoid if you are sensitive to this extreme spiciness)
Chop the cabbage into very thin or small pieces and transfer to a bowl.
In a separate smaller bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, red chilli powder, red chilli flakes, and salt to season.
Taste and adjust the flavours as per your need.
Once the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture over the cabbage.
Mix and make sure to let the chopped cabbage absorb the flavour.
Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving time.
This pickled cabbage slaw tastes better if you can serve it at room temperature or slightly cool.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG
- 1 small head of green or white cabbage(about 250g-300g)
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar(any type of mild white vinegar)
- 1/4 cup of sugar(adjust by increasing or decreasing the amount of sugar)
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder(reduce to 1 for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chill flakes
- 1 very small scotch bonnet chilli chopped fine(for extra heat, avoid if you are sensitive to this extreme spiciness)
- Chop the cabbage into very thin or small pieces and transfer to a bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, red chilli powder, red chilli flakes, and salt to season.
- Taste and adjust the flavours as per your need.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture over the cabbage.
- Mix and make sure to let the chopped cabbage absorb the flavour.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving time.
- This pickled cabbage slaw tastes better if you can serve it at room temperature or slightly cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
CINEYO Premium Quality Manual Lemon and Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Juicer Press, Hand Juicer Kitchen Tool and Professional use,
Professional Box Grater, Stainless Steel with 4 Sides, Best for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger, XL Size, Black
KITCHENDAO Lemon Zester Bar Tool 4 in 1, Citrus Lime Zester Peeler, Channel Knife, Citrus Reamer, Grater, Seed Pip Catcher to Avoid Mess, Soft-Touch Grip, Compact for Easy Storage, Dishwasher Safe
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
WObell Meat Thermometer for Kitchen Cooking Digital Instant Read Food Thermometer for Candy Oil Deep Frying Baking Outdoor Cooking Grilling BBQ Smoker Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 713mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 13g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
With you in mind, each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes, or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only shared the link rather than the full recipe.