Teriyaki tofu, crispy fried tofu tossed in teriyaki sauce.
This easy tofu recipe always comes in handy when I need to feed the family a healthy meatless protein.
All you need is just 4 ingredients to make this quick meatless stir fry.
What to serve with teriyaki tofu.
You can serve this tofu dish with various rice recipes.
- Here are a few of them you can try.
- Noodle dishes to serve with tofu.
- Vegetarian side dishes to serve with tofu.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
FAQ about teriyaki tofu
- What is tofu?
- Originating from China, tofu is also known as bean curd, tofu is basically a block of hardened soy milk.
- Tofu can come in Silken, soft, firm and extra firm. The texture of the tofu depends on how much pressing is involved to make them in to a solid block.
- Tofu can absorb any type of flavours that it’s cooked in, making it a versatile ingredient to use in various cooking methods.
- You can bake, grill, make it into a curry, add to a salad, as a filling and most especially in stir-fries.
- Tofu is high on protein so it makes a great substitute for meat dishes you want to replace.
- Why did my tofu turn rubbery?
This is mainly due to the type of tofu you used. firm and extra firm tofu will give you a chewy, rubbery texture though it still tastes good.
Tips on making teriyaki tofu.
- The duration of cooking time will result in a different finish. experiment and find the one that you like.
- Make sure to drain and then PRESS the tofu with a thick kitchen paper towel to remove excess moisture. tofu is packaged in with extra water to keep them fresh, this in result also allows the tofu to absorb extra water.
- If you want crispy and flavorful tofu then pressing out the water is a must.
- Avoid marinating the tofu cubes.
- Once you begin frying the tofu in oil, avoid moving it around but let one side of the bean curd cook at least 4-5 minutes until golden brown before flipping and repeating the process.
- My personal thoughts on cooking teriyaki tofu for the family.
- Extremely budget friendly despite having to double the amount.
- My family loves meat dishes and I was a bit sceptical if they will love this tofu dish or not. surprisingly, everyone had something positive to say.
I served this tofu dish with rice, parsley sambol, potato curry. I had to double the quantity to serve six people.
I think the teriyaki flavours and the crispiness of the tofu combined help to give this vegetarian protein dish positive reviews.
- I have cooked this tofu recipe with my own homemade teriyaki sauce as well as a store-bought version.
When I used the store-bought teriyaki sauce, I usually find the base is slightly bitter and more like Worcestershire sauce. I mixed some sugar and tomato sauce(or ketchup)to balance off the slight irony taste at the end.
- Most of the cooking time was spent pan frying the tofu on each side, this would take some time but assembling the dish takes less than 10 minutes.
- I’ll definitely be adding various tofu dishes to my meal plans.
More teriyaki recipes.
- Sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce(DIY recipe).
- Teriyaki chicken with bell pepper, onion stir-fry.
- spicy pan-fried chicken wings in teriyaki sauce.
- teriyaki chicken fried rice.
- beef teriyaki stir-fry(quick and easy recipe)
- teriyaki marinade baked chicken.
- Teriyaki mushroom stir fry.
Utensils and appliances needed
- Chopping board/knife
- Medium-sized frying pan.
- Kitchen paper towels or clean cloth to press the tofu.
- Serving platter
How to make teriyaki tofu
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make teriyaki tofu
3 tablespoons of oil
250g of packaged firm tofu
1 tablespoon of sesame oil(optional)
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce(please refer to tips and my personal thoughts above, add more as needed)
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds(optional to garnish)
Drain the tofu. Place the tofu on a flat surface or plate. use a thick folded square of kitchen paper towel or a clean cloth to press down on the tofu to remove excess water.
Once the pressing is done cut them into thick 1″ cubes or strips.
Frying the tofu.
Place a frying pan over low medium heat and add oil.
Add the tofu cubes into the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle salt over the tofu cubes.
Fry each side until they turn light golden in colour. each side would probably take about 4-5 minutes depending on how much heat is used to fry them.
Once you’ve fried bother sides of the tofu, simply pour in a tablespoon of sesame oil(optional)and toss.
Reduce heat to low.
Pour in the teriyaki sauce.
And toss the tofu for 60 seconds to coat.
Please refer to tips and my personal notes on using homemade teriyaki sauce or store-bought teriyaki sauce.
Remove from stove. toast sesame seeds and scatter over the tofu.
While serving, drizzle extra tablespoons of teriyaki sauce(optional).
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- Ingredients to make teriyaki tofu
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 250g of packaged firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil(optional)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce(please refer to tips and my personal thoughts above, add more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds(optional to garnish)
- Drain the tofu. Place the tofu on a flat surface or plate. use a thick folded square of kitchen paper towel or a clean cloth to press down on the tofu to remove excess water.
- Once the pressing is done cut them into thick 1″ cubes or strips.
- Add the tofu cubes into the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle salt over the tofu cubes.
- Fry each side until they turn light golden in colour. each side would probably take about 4-5 minutes depending on how much heat is used to fry them.
- Once you’ve fried bother sides of the tofu, simply pour in a tablespoon of sesame oil(optional)and toss.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Pour in the teriyaki sauce.
- And toss the tofu for 60 seconds to coat.
- Please refer to tips and my personal notes on using homemade teriyaki sauce or store-bought teriyaki sauce.
- Remove from stove. toast sesame seeds and scatter over the tofu.
- While serving, drizzle extra tablespoons of teriyaki sauce(optional).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Spice/Coffee Grinder Mill with Large Grinding Capacity and HD Motor also for Spices, Herbs, Nuts, Grains, White
HOTEC Silicone Heat Resistant Marinading Meat Grill Basting Pastry Brush for Oil Butter Sauce Sausages Desserts Turkey Baster Grill Barbecue, Multicolor
The Original Popco Tongs for Cooking - Set of 3 (7, 9, 12 inches) - Heavy Duty, 304 Stainless Steel BBQ and Kitchen Tongs with Silicone Tips (3 COLORS AVAILABLE)
Silicone Utensil Rest with Drip Pad for Multiple Utensils, Heat-Resistant, BPA-Free Spoon Rest & Spoon Holder for Stove Top, Kitchen Utensil Holder for Spoons, Ladles, Tongs & More - by Zulay (Black)
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
Deiss PRO Lemon Zester & Heavy Duty Cheese Grater & Vegetable Grater — Parmesan Cheese Lemon, Garlic, Nutmeg, Chocolate, Fruits, Vegetables, Ginger Grater - Cheese Shredder & Stainless Steel Grater
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
Mueller Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline Cheese/Vegetable Slicer, Cutter, Shredder with Precise Maximum Adjustability
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Spring Chef Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Dual Sided, Stainless Steel, Fits in Spice Jars, Black, Set of 8
EZ Off Jar Opener - Under Cabinet Jar Lid & Bottle Opener - Opens Any Size Jar - Great for Arthritis - Perfect for Seniors & Weak Hands
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1513mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 16g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes, or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.