A homemade spicy teriyaki sauce with just enough heat from the chilli flakes in it to give a sweet and spicy flavour.
You can use this teriyaki sauce recipe to make our family favourite teriyaki chicken, beef and wings and the list goes on.
And guess what?
To make this easy sauce, you’ll only be using 5 ingredients.
A thick teriyaki sauce made at home in 10 minutes.
We buy condiments and various dressings because it comes in ready-made bottles.
But if you realize how easy it is to make some of these sauces and condiments you’ll actually make them at home, especiallythis amazing multi purpose sauce.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this sweet and spicy sauce.
What is teriyaki sauce.
In terms of the real meaning,
Teriyaki is basically a cooking term originating from Japan.
Used for preparing grilled seafood or other types of meat, the most popular of the whole cooking process is the teriyaki glaze or teriyaki sauce which is used to give the meat its unique flavour.
The following recipe, I would like to mention that this teriyaki sauce is not the Japanese version but an easier version with easy-to-get ingredients but still packs the original flavours you would expect in a teriyaki sauce.
This sauce uses the same base(soy sauce, sugar, except for mirin).
If you love spicy then this version of a hot and spicy teriyaki sauce would be ideal for you.
How to use spicy teriyaki sauce.
Eating healthy becomes much easier when you have a bottle of DIY teriyaki sauce.
- Try steaming a few of your favourite vegetables then drizzle the sauce over them, you’ve got a healthy lunch or after work out snack.
- As an appetizer, why not slightly cook a few chicken wings or meatballs and toss them in a pan of this dark sauce?
- You can also make delicious but sweeter fried rice using the same sauce. the kids love it, weekend lunch, your kids can tuck into a bowl of fried rice made using this sweet and spicy sauce, easy peasy.
- Drizzle over grilling meat or serve over poached salmon.
- Use the sauce as a glaze on barbecued meat(beef, chicken, meat and vegetable skewers)
- Use the sauce as Marinade for chicken thighs, breasts, legs and bake them.
As I said the choices are endless, so make sure you learn how to make the sauce because it’s addictive.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
Tips to make the best sweet and spicy teriyaki sauce.
- The ingredients you need to make teriyaki sauce are, soy sauce, ginger-garlic paste, brown sugar, cornstarch, water and chilli flakes.
- Each of these ingredients adds its own flavour to the sauce, soya sauce, water is the base in which the sauce is made.
- ginger-garlic paste and sugar add aroma and distinct flavours and sweetness.
- cornstarch thickens the sauce and red chilli flakes add heat.
- If you want to make a very spicy teriyaki sauce- add more chilli flakes and chilli powder.
- Cooking the teriyaki sauce
- Adding cornstarch-to avoid lumps, let the cornstarch dissolve completely with water in a separate bowl before adding it to the cooking sauce.
- Maintain low-medium heat and then reduce to low once you add the cornstarch to the sauce. keep an eye on the sauce as it thickens and stir frequently.
- If you find the teriyaki sauce is too thick then simply add water to thin it.
Frequently asked questions: teriyaki sauce.
- Do you need to refrigerate the sauce?
- For longer life and to avoid spoiling refrigerate in a dry bottle and use a dry spoon.
- Refrigerated, you can use the teriyaki sauce for a month. frozen as cubes, you can use it for a longer period of time.
- How to reuse teriyaki sauce stored in fridge or freezer.
- Simply leave the sauce to reach room temperature and use it. if frozen slightly warm it up with a few tablespoons of water to revert to the correct consistency.
- Is teriyaki sauce spicy?
- Teriyaki sauce has a sweet and spicy element, although not too spicy you can add extra chilli flakes to increase the heat of the sauce.
Recipes using Teriyaki sauce
How to make spicy teriyaki sauce
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
The ingredients to make teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon of minced ginger-garlic paste
4 tablespoons of brown sugar(increase or reduce as per your need)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch(you need 1/4 cup extra water to mix)
1/2 teaspoon chilli flecks
Have all the ingredients needed to make the teriyaki sauce ready.
Place a small pan over medium heat, add soy sauce(1/2 a cup), ginger-garlic paste(1 teaspoon), brown sugar(4 tbsp)and water(1/2 a cup).
Let the ingredients simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
Constantly check on the taste as you want the sweet and spicy flavours coming through, and make adjustments accordingly.
While the ingredients in the pan simmer, add slightly warm water to a small bowl, then stir in the cornstarch making sure there are no visible lumps, strain if there are any before adding it to the slow simmering sauce.
Reduce fire to low and pour in the cornstarch liquid and stir continuously, in seconds you’ll see a visible change in the sauce.
You’ll notice the liquid thin sauce turn into a thick sauce.
Simmer for a few minutes until you are satisfied with the thickness.
Add chilli flakes to make it spicy, start with 1 tablespoon. if you need to make a really spicy sauce add some chilli powder as well.
You can check if the sauce is done by dipping a spoon into the sauce.
If the sauce coats the spoon as it drizzles to the bowl, then it is done, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger-garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar(increase or reduce as per your need)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch(you need 1/4 cup extra water to mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flecks
- Have all the ingredients needed to make the teriyaki sauce ready.
- Place a small pan over medium heat, add soy sauce(1/2 a cup), ginger-garlic paste(1 teaspoon), brown sugar(4 tbsp)and water(1/2 a cup).
- Let the ingredients simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Constantly check on the taste as you want the sweet and spicy flavors coming through, make adjustments accordingly.
- While the ingredients in the pan simmer, add slightly warm water to a small bowl, then stir in the cornstarch making sure there are no visible lumps, strain if there are any before adding it to the slow simmering sauce.
- Reduce fire to low and pour in the cornstarch liquid and stir continuously, in seconds you’ll see a visible change in the sauce.
- You’ll notice the liquid thin sauce turn to a thick sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes until you are satisfied with the thickness.
- Add chilli flakes to make it spicy, start with 1 tablespoon. if you need to make a really spicy sauce add some chilli powder as well.
- You can check if the sauce is done by dipping a spoon into the sauce.
- If the sauce coats the spoon as it drizzles to the bowl, then it is done, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Spice/Coffee Grinder Mill with Large Grinding Capacity and HD Motor also for Spices, Herbs, Nuts, Grains, White
OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
HOTEC Silicone Heat Resistant Marinading Meat Grill Basting Pastry Brush for Oil Butter Sauce Sausages Desserts Turkey Baster Grill Barbecue, Multicolor
The Original Popco Tongs for Cooking - Set of 3 (7, 9, 12 inches) - Heavy Duty, 304 Stainless Steel BBQ and Kitchen Tongs with Silicone Tips (3 COLORS AVAILABLE)
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
Deiss PRO Lemon Zester & Heavy Duty Cheese Grater & Vegetable Grater — Parmesan Cheese Lemon, Garlic, Nutmeg, Chocolate, Fruits, Vegetables, Ginger Grater - Cheese Shredder & Stainless Steel Grater
Fullstar Vegetable Chopper - Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer - Onion Chopper with Container - Pro Food Chopper - Black Slicer Dicer Cutter - 4 Blades
WISELIFE Kitchen Mat and Rugs Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Kitchen mats ,17.3"x 28",Non Slip Waterproof Kitchen Mats and Rugs Ergonomic Comfort Mat for Kitchen, Floor Home, Office, Sink, Laundry , Grey
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Spring Chef Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Dual Sided, Stainless Steel, Fits in Spice Jars, Black, Set of 8
EZ Off Jar Opener - Under Cabinet Jar Lid & Bottle Opener - Opens Any Size Jar - Great for Arthritis - Perfect for Seniors & Weak Hands
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1778mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.