Canned mackerel fish is a great pantry staple and it is the only canned product I tend to use often.
The easy canned fish recipe is great for quick dinners or a few lunch sandwiches done in a rush.
less oil makes the dish a better and healthier version for you to try.
This canned mackerel or tinned fish recipe can help you with your clean eating diet as well.
Mackeral stir fry is also known as “salmon theldala” in Sinhalese.
It’s on my once-a-week grocery list and if you’ve tried making my Sri Lankan canned fish curry you’ll know why.
What to serve with this canned mackerel stir fry.
For this fish stir-fry recipe, we are using regular tinned jack mackerel
- The fish stir-fry is great with regular white rice, bread, Sri Lankan coconut roti(pol roti) or parathas.
- Here are a few side dishes that you can pair with this tin fish stir fry.
- Sri Lankan dhal curry.
- Sri Lankan potato curry.
- Sri Lankan coconut sambol.
- sweet potato curry(sri Lankan, bathala curry).
- Sri Lankan spicy dry potato curry.
- If you are serving it with rice, pumpkin curry, especially a kalupol pumpkin curry will go well with this mackerel recipe.
- You can have it with a few slices of buttered bread or better yet, breakfast toasties.
- Slices of cucumber or avocado, a thin spread of cheese or hummus then some of this fish stir fry into a roti or tortilla and you can make the most delicious wraps.
- Make tuna melts with this fish stir-fry, spicy and cheesy, perfect as a snack.
- Leftovers can be added to your omelettes or made into fish cutlets.
- The fish stir-fry is easy enough to make for a quick dinner and is a perfect skillet meal for those of you who love seafood or follow the pescetarian diet.
- If you have a few tortillas, fill them up with this Sri Lankan mackerel stir fry for a quick meal.
- You can make sandwiches or stuff a hot dog bun with the fish stir fry.
Cooking the Sri Lankan canned mackerel for my family.
This seafood stir-fry needs no cleaning.
All you need to do is, drain the brine in which the canned mackerel comes in and cook as per the recipe instructions below.
Food doesn’t need to be extravagant, sometimes all you need is just that one basic ingredient, a handful of spices, a splash of colour, and a squeeze of lime to take it to the next level and that’s exactly what I did with this recipe of fish stir-fry.
I used less oil, didn’t cook it for too long and it turned out to be good in the healthiest possible way.
I also like the idea of just making a simple breakfast of bread and butter with a skillet of canned fish stir-fry that takes less than twenty minutes to make.
So make sure to add a tinned fish to your grocery list because, in this recipe, I’m showing you how to turn it into a drool-worthy, spicy yet simple meal you can make any time of the day.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
Getting rid of the “fishy smell” from the canned mackerel.
The usual method would be to squeeze a bit of lime into the stir-fry.
For this dish, I used a different ingredient and that was half a teaspoon of garam masala, it makes a world of a difference with both taste and fragrance.
If you don’t have garam masala in hand you can also try adding a piece of cinnamon(small) with two or three slightly bruised cardamom.
This works as well, especially when you have gravy.
More fish recipes.
- deviled fish(Sri Lankan, spicy chilli fish stir-fry)
- Canned tuna fish stir-fry(devilled).
- Jack mackerel pepper fish curry(Sri Lankan).
- Sri Lankan Fish curry with coconut milk(thalapath fish curry).
- fish rolls(Chinese rolls).
- fish cutlets(Sri Lankan).
canned mackerel fish stir-fry(Sri Lankan).
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make mackerel fish stir fry
3 tablespoons of oil
A handful of curry leaves(substitute with a bay leaf)
1 large onion sliced fine
2 green or red chillies
1 large tomato sliced
1″ piece of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 teaspoon of pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder(add more to increase the spiciness)
1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder(add more if necessary)
1 large tin of jack mackerel/ tuna or salmon opened and drained of water
Open the canned fish, drain and set aside.
Place a flat-bottomed skillet over low fire and pour in the oil.
Add curry leaves(substitute with a bay leaf), sliced onions, chillies, and tomato to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until onions turn translucent.
Add cinnamon, chilli powder, pepper, lime juice and salt to the pan and continue cooking over low heat.
Increase heat to medium and add the drained fish and incorporate the fish into all the other ingredients.
As the fish comes in large chunks, break them into smaller pieces so that all the spices mix into the fish. 3-5 minutes.
Add the garam masala to the skillet of fish stir fry and continue combining all the ingredients.
Taste to make sure all the spices are balanced and there is enough seasoning.
If you need to add more spice, add chilli or pepper powder and salt if necessary.
Continue to cook for a minute or two then remove from fire.
Serve warm for best results.
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
canned mackerel fish stir-fry(Sri Lankan).
CANNED MACKEREL FISH STIR-FRY.
TINNED FISH CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR CLEAN EATING DIET AS WELL.
THE RECIPE IS GREAT FOR QUICK DINNERS OR A FEW LUNCH SANDWICHES DONE IN A RUSH.
LESS OIL MAKES THE DISH A BETTER AND HEALTHIER VERSION FOR YOU TO TRY.
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- A handful of curry leaves(substitute with a bay leaf)
- 1 large onion sliced fine
- 2 green or red chillies
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1" piece of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder(add more to increase the spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder(add more if necessary)
- 1 large tin of jack mackerel/ tuna or salmon opened and drained of water
- Open the canned fish, drain and set aside.
- Place a flat-bottomed skillet over low fire and pour in the oil.
- Add curry leaves(substitute with a bay leaf), sliced onions, chillies, and tomato to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until onions turn translucent.
- Add cinnamon, chilli powder, pepper, lime juice and salt to the pan and continue cooking over low heat.
- Increase heat to medium and add the drained fish and incorporate the fish into all the other ingredients.
- As the fish comes in large chunks, break them into smaller pieces so that all the spices mix into the fish. 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garam masala to the skillet of fish stir fry and continue combining all the ingredients.
- Taste to make sure all the spices are balanced and there is enough seasoning.
- If you need to add more spice, add chilli or pepper powder and salt if necessary.
- Continue to cook for a minute or two then remove from fire.
- Serve warm for best results.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mueller HyperGrind Precision Electric Spice/Coffee Grinder Mill with Large Grinding Capacity and HD Motor also for Spices, Herbs, Nuts, Grains, White
Spice Container - Masala Dabba - 7 Compartments, masala box,steel masala dabba,Spice container box,stainless steel spice box indian masala dabba with 7 spice containers with size 8 X 8 inches (1)
Pandanus Leaves, Dried | Aromatic and Delicious Blade-like Leaf | Popular Ingredient in Southeast Asian and South Asian Delicacies 0.5 oz.
KIZEN Digital Meat Thermometer with Probe - Waterproof, Kitchen Instant Read Food Thermometer for Cooking, Baking, Liquids, Candy, Grilling BBQ & Air Fryer - Black/White
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
Fullstar Vegetable Chopper - Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer - Onion Chopper with Container - Pro Food Chopper - Black Slicer Dicer Cutter - 4 Blades
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
WISELIFE Kitchen Mat and Rugs Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Kitchen mats ,17.3"x 28",Non Slip Waterproof Kitchen Mats and Rugs Ergonomic Comfort Mat for Kitchen, Floor Home, Office, Sink, Laundry , Grey
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Spring Chef Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Dual Sided, Stainless Steel, Fits in Spice Jars, Black, Set of 8
EZ Off Jar Opener - Under Cabinet Jar Lid & Bottle Opener - Opens Any Size Jar - Great for Arthritis - Perfect for Seniors & Weak Hands
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
Naturally Grown Curry Leaves Whole Air Dried 0.7 oz
Rodelle Cinnamon Sticks, 8 Ounce
Indian Spice Swad Chili Powder Red (Regular) 7oz-
Rani Garam Masala Indian 11 Spice Blend 3oz (85g) All Natural | Vegan | Gluten Free Ingredients | Salt Free | NON-GMO
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.
Thursday 20th of January 2022
I made this tonight and it was delicious. I added minced garlic and sliced mushrooms. Since I don't like chilis, I used roasted red peppers from jar. We both liked it and I will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
Sunday 21st of June 2020
To get rid of fish-y smell. Use ginger, about a half an inch. Peel ginger using a peeler, slice in thin strips. Cook with shallots or onions and garlic in hot oil. Saute until shallots or onions are translucent. Then throw in the canned\tinned fish.
Monday 22nd of June 2020
Hi Abbie Tan, Great idea! will add the information as a reader suggestion to all my canned fish recipes. Thank you again, regards. J