Canned tuna stir fry, is a quick and easy tuna recipe you can whip up any time.
Banana peppers, garlic, ginger, onions and tomato with black pepper and red chilli come together to give the bland tinned can tuna so much taste and spice that you’ll be making this easy tuna recipe every chance you get.
Using these tinned fish to cook easy budget-friendly meals can really help when you need to make a wholesome filling meal for the family.
And this 30-minute, one-pan canned tuna recipe is versatile enough that you can make any type of meal (refer to ideas below)for lunch or dinner as well using it as a filling.
Canned tuna meal ideas you can try.
- Spicy and full of flavour the spicy(devilled) tuna stir-fry can be used as a filling for your toasted sandwiches or as a spread on your toasts.
- replace your regular tuna filling for tuna melts with this devilled tuna recipe.
- Make spicy tuna pasta for dinner.
- Make a few wraps for an easy picnic meal.
- Make a spicy tuna noodle one-pot meal with a few extra veggies.
- Use it as a spicy tuna pizza topping.
- Make a simple breakfast with this deviled tuna stir-fry with a Sri Lankan pol roti and a dhal curry.
- Make a Sri Lankan stuffed roti using this deviled tuna curry. make the tuna stir fry filling dry(less oil).
What to serve with canned tuna stir fry.
- Serve with any rice recipe
- Vegetarian side dishes to serve with canned tuna stir fry.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
Canned tuna and Jack mackerel recipes
Storing – can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Reheating- let the canned tuna curry reach room temperature.
Reheat in a microwave for 1 minute or on the stovetop for 3-5 minutes over medium fire.
Freezing- avoid freezing.
Stop food waste by-use the canned tuna stir-fry as a filling for sandwiches or to make wraps. you can also add the tuna filling to an omelette.
How to cook canned tuna.
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make the canned tuna recipe.
2 tablespoons of oil
2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped
4 banana peppers sliced fine(substitute with bell 1 bell peppers and make sure to slice them thin)
1 large onion sliced fine
4 garlic cloves sliced fine
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
2 teaspoons of black pepper
1 teaspoon of red chilli powder(increase or decrease as per your need)
1 teaspoon of roasted curry powder(substitute with regular unroasted curry powder, substitute with regular curry powder)
2 cans of chunky tuna
Salt to season
Have all the ingredients ready. drain the canned tuna and set it aside.
Place a medium-sized skillet or frying pan over a low fire.
Pour in the oil(2 tbsps)and add chopped tomatoes(2 medium), banana peppers(4 sliced fine, substitute with 1 bell pepper sliced very thin), onion(1 large), garlic cloves(4), minced ginger(1 tbsp).
Cook over low-medium until the onions turn soft and you have broken down the tomato pieces. 3-5 minutes.
Avoid increasing heat as you don’t want to fry the onions here.
Once the onions are soft, add turmeric(1/2 tsp), black pepper(2 tsp), red chilli powder(1 tsp), and roasted curry powder(1 tsp, substitute with regular curry powder).
Cook over medium fire for 2-3 minutes until combined well.
Add the canned tuna to the spice mix.
Season with salt and mix to incorporate the spice mix over low medium fire.
Taste and season with salt and increase heat by adding more red chillies powder.
Avoid breaking the tuna chunks too much.
You want the tuna pieces to be broken down into smaller pieces but not mashed into a spread-like consistency.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped
- 4 banana peppers sliced fine(substitute with bell 1 bell peppers and make sure to slice them thin)
- 1 large onion sliced fine
- 4 garlic cloves sliced fine
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder(increase or decrease as per your need)
- 1 teaspoon of roasted curry powder(substitute with regular curry powder)
- Have all the ingredients ready.
- Drain the canned tuna and set it aside.
- Place a medium-sized skillet or frying pan over a low fire.
- Pour in the oil(2 tbsp)and add chopped tomatoes(2 medium), banana peppers(4 sliced fine, substitute with 1 bell pepper sliced very thin), onion(1 large), garlic cloves(4), minced ginger(1 tbsp).
- Cook over low-medium until the onions turn soft and you have broken the tomato pieces. 3-5 minutes.
- Avoid increasing heat as you don’t want to fry the onions here.
- Once the onions are soft, add turmeric(1/2 tsp), black pepper(2 tsp), red chilli powder(1 tsp), and roasted curry powder(1 tsp, substitute with regular curry powder).
- Cook over medium fire for 2-3 minutes until combined well.
- Add the canned tuna to the spice mix, season with salt, and incorporate the spice mix over low medium fire.
- Taste and season with salt and increase heat by adding red chillies powder.
- Avoid breaking the tuna chunks too much. you want the tuna pieces to be broken down into smaller pieces but not be mashed into a spread-like consistency.
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Prepware 1-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
Organic Turmeric Powder - 1LB Jar - 100% Raw w/Curcumin From India - by Jiva Organics
McCormick Curry Powder, 1 lb
OXO Good Grips Etched Ginger & Garlic Grater, Green,us:one size
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
ESLITE LIFE Deep Frying Pan with Lid Nonstick Saute Pan with Granite Coating, 11 Inch (5 Quart)
WObell Meat Thermometer for Kitchen Cooking Digital Instant Read Food Thermometer for Candy Oil Deep Frying Baking Outdoor Cooking Grilling BBQ Smoker Thermometer with Backlight and Magnet
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
EZ Off Jar Opener - Under Cabinet Jar Lid & Bottle Opener - Opens Any Size Jar - Great for Arthritis - Perfect for Seniors & Weak Hands
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information on islandsmile is provided as a courtesy. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on the site. these figures should only be considered as estimates.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.