Sri Lankan spicy green bean potato stir-fry, a vegan, vegetarian side-dish you can prepare to accompany any meal.
If you love the combination of green beans and potatoes with chillies that add extra punch then you just might love this colourful, skillet dish.
I admit after dhal curry, this probably is my favourite combination, they are a part of my weekly menu.
Because of this reason, I like to try as many variations as possible.
I have already posted a milder version for you to try, a creamy, Sri Lankan coconut milk-based potato and bean curry. It’s perfect for anyone who dislikes anything spicy.
For you, spicy lovers out there, well this is for you.
What to serve with green beans and potatoes recipe.
- Rice dishes to pair with green beans and potatoes stir fry.
- Other vegetarian curries to pair with green beans and potato dish.
- Pineapple salsa(fresh and easy to make).
- spicy pineapple curry | Sri Lankan, Sinhalese style.
- Sri lankan Beetroot Curry(vegetarian, vegan).
- Chicken, seafood or meat curries to pair with green beans stir fry.
- Leftover rice can be put into use by mixing into this potato and green bean stir-fry, creating an easy vegetarian pilau.
- Leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken can be added to this skillet and turned into a single or two-person skillet dinner in a rush.
- Drizzle your favourite sweet and spicy sauce and create a sweet and savoury dish, you can even add your favourite meat into it.
Frequently asked questions: spicy green bean potato stir fry.
- How do I cut the potatoes for this spicy potato and green bean stir-fry.
- Instead of cutting the potatoes into wedges, discs or strips, cut them into cubes so that they fry evenly.
- Can I use frozen green beans to make this dish?
- Yes, you can make this vegetarian stir-fryusing frozen green beans.
- Why do you need a non-stick frying pan to make this green beans and potato fry.
- You will be cooking onions and potatoes until they turn brown, during this process, the onions and some bits of the potatoes might stick to the pan.
- These dark, caramelized bits add flavour to the stir-fry so you will want to gently scrape them with a wooden spoon and mix in with the beans and potatoes.
- Using a non-stick pan makes this part of the cooking process easy.
Save the recipe to your favourite Pinterest board!
Kitchen utensils and appliances
- Chopping board/knife
- A bowl.
- Medium-sized frying pan, preferably non-stick.
More green bean and potato recipes.
Beef and green beans stir-fry.
vegan green beans and coconut stir-fry.
Potato and green bean curry(Sri Lankan, vegetarian).
Sri Lankan spicy Dry Potato curry(ala theldala)
chickpea and potato curry(chana aloo curry).
Storing– store in air-tight glass containers once the green bean and potato stir fry are cool. avoid using plastic containers as the spices will stain the containers.
Freezing– can be portioned and frozen for two weeks. If using within 48 hours simply refrigerate the stir fry.
Reheating- if you’ve refrigerated, you can reheat over a stovetop or microwave. add a tablespoon of water before heating the beans and potato fry.
If frozen, remove it from the freezer at least an hour before serving time, and let it reach room temperature before heating the dish.
Stop food waste by adding green beans to any leftover rice to make quick fried rice. you can also, add any leftovers to your omelette.
Sri Lankan green beans and potato stir-fry.
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make spicy green beans and potatoes.
3 tablespoons of oil(you can add more if you need)
A sprig of curry leaves(you can add a bay leaf as a substitute)
1 medium-sized onion finely sliced
2 garlic cloves finely sliced
2 medium-sized potatoes cut into cubes(1 inch or slightly bigger)
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon of chilli fleck
2-3 green/ red chillies split in the middle
250 green beans
Salt to season
Wash, Clean, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. set aside.
Wash the green beans, trim the ends and cut them in half. set aside.
Place the frying pan over medium heat and pour in the oil, let the oil heat for a few seconds.
Add the curry leaves, onions, and garlic and sauté the ingredients for a few minutes or until the onions turn translucent. 3-5 minutes.
Add in the potatoes and then the turmeric powder to the tempering ingredients and sauté until the potatoes turn a light golden brown. 5 minutes.
Pour in 1/4 cup water, and cook until the water completely evaporates. the reason I’m cooking the potatoes in such a small amount of water is to make sure that the potatoes are cooked through.
Once the water evaporates, add in the chilli flecks, and green/ red chillies and continue to sauté.
Season with salt and add the green beans to the stir-fry. add a tablespoon of oil if you feel it’s necessary while you continue to cook.
While sautéing, you might find the browned bits of potatoes sticking to the skillet, gently scrape it off the pan and continue cooking as these bits of really browned potato and onions add flavour to the dish.
Once the beans are cooked through, Check for seasoning, add salt if necessary and serve warm.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
Sri Lankan spicy potato, green bean stir-fry.
Sri Lankan spicy potato, green bean stir-fry is a vegan, vegetarian side dish you can prepare to accompany any meal.
If you love the combination of potatoes and green beans, and chillies that add extra punch then you just might love this colourful, skillet dish.
- 3 tablespoons of oil(you can add more if you need)
- A sprig of curry leaves(you can add a bay leaf as a substitute)
- 1 medium-sized onion finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 2 medium-sized potatoes cut into cubes(1 inch or slightly bigger)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of chilli fleck
- 2-3 green/ red chillies split in the middle
- 250 green beans
- Salt to season
- Wash, Clean, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. set aside.
- Wash the green beans, trim the ends and cut them into half. set aside.
- Place the frying pan over medium heat and pour in the oil, let the oil heat for a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, onions, garlic and sauté the ingredients for a few minutes or until the onions turn translucent. 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and then the turmeric powder to the tempering ingredients and sauté until the potatoes turn a light golden brown. 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1/4 cup water, cook until the water completely evaporates. the reason I’m cooking the potatoes in such a small amount of water is to make sure that the potatoes are cooked through.
- Once the water evaporates, add in the chilli flecks, green/ red chillies and continue to sauté.
- Season with salt and add in the green beans to the stir-fry. add a tablespoon of oil if you feel it’s necessary while you continue to cook.
- While sautéing, you might find the browned bits of potatoes sticking to the skillet, gently scrape it off the pan and continue cooking as these bits of really browned potato and onions add flavor to the dish.
- Once the beans are cooked through, Check for seasoning, add salt if necessary and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Spice Container - Masala Dabba - 7 Compartments, masala box,steel masala dabba,Spice container box,stainless steel spice box indian masala dabba with 7 spice containers with size 8 X 8 inches (1)
OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
ESLITE LIFE Deep Frying Pan with Lid Nonstick Saute Pan with Granite Coating, 11 Inch (5 Quart)
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
KIZEN Digital Meat Thermometer with Probe - Waterproof, Kitchen Instant Read Food Thermometer for Cooking, Baking, Liquids, Candy, Grilling BBQ & Air Fryer - Black/White
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
Kitchen Shears by Gidli - Lifetime Replacement Warranty- Includes Seafood Scissors As a Bonus - Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Multipurpose Ultra Sharp Utility Scissors
Food Storage Containers (Plastic Pack of 24)
Deiss PRO Lemon Zester & Heavy Duty Cheese Grater & Vegetable Grater — Parmesan Cheese Lemon, Garlic, Nutmeg, Chocolate, Fruits, Vegetables, Ginger Grater - Cheese Shredder & Stainless Steel Grater
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2936Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 640gFiber: 253gSugar: 287gProtein: 151g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
Tuesday 18th of August 2020
Hi tried your yummy recipe and was a success...
Wednesday 3rd of October 2018
Love your recipes keep coming and thanks a bunch.
Wednesday 3rd of October 2018