Tomato onion and green chillies salad or sambol as we like to call it makes a quick and easy Sri Lankan salad you’ll ever make and a great rice puller for your meals.
This is one of those dishes that come together without a recipe(I promise there is a reason to add such a simple dish).
All you need is your cutting board and a bowl to make this spicy Sri Lankan salad.
Spicy Onion and tomato salad.
If there were two ingredients I constantly use a lot, they are onions and tomatoes.
I love the combination because it hits all the spots of my favourite taste buds.
Give me a toast slathered in butter topped with a seriously spicy onion and tomato salad anytime and I’ll be happy to call it a quick snack.
You can also use the salad as a side dish to your Sri Lankan meals.
It’s what brings all the different tastes together and adds a serious punch to the meal.
There’s nothing elaborate or complicated about this sambol, in fact, it will only take you less than 10 minutes to put it together.
The same sambol can do wonders as a good topping for burgers and grilled fish as well.
So if you love heat, tomatoes, and onions then this sambol will be your favourite for the next couple of months.
Save the recipe to your Pinterest board!
Sri Lankan onions sambol Variations.
You would think that a simple salad of onions-green chillies and tomatoes can’t be served any other way, well let me surprise you with a few options and serving ideas.
- You can add a tablespoon or two of Maldive fish to change the taste of the sambol completely.
- Add lime pickle(lunudehi) to the sambol, mix thoroughly and see how good it tastes with rice and curry.
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk, mix with the sambol and it’s perfect for roti.
What to serve with tomato onion, green chilli salad.
- Serve with any type of rice dish.
- Serve with any type of flatbread or roti.
- Serve with Sri Lankan coconut roti. or Sri Lankan tuna filling stuffed coconut roti(pol roti).
- Paratha or an egg roti.
- Or any type of bread.
- Vegetarian curries that will pair with onion tomato green chillies salad.
- Sri Lankan Dhal(red lentil)spinach curry
- Sri Lankan spicy Dry Potato curry(ala theldala)
- Dal tadka.
- Potato korma.
- Potato curry
- chickpea and potato curry(chana aloo curry).
- Poultry, meat and seafood curries to pair with onion tomato salad.
Utensils and appliances needed.
- Chopping board and knife.
- Medium-sized bowl to mix.
- Lemon squeezer
More salad or sambol recipe.
Onion tomato and green chilli sambol(salad).
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
Ingredients to make onion tomato salad(sambol).
3 large onions sliced fine
3 medium-sized Tomatoes chopped
2-3 green chillies sliced fine
1 teaspoon red chillies flecks
Salt to season
Juice of 1 lime
Slice and chop all the ingredients and place them in a serving bowl.
Add chilli flecks and season with salt(careful with the salt).
Pour in the lime juice and thoroughly mix all the ingredients in the bowl.
Make sure the taste is balanced, and serve with your favourite rice and curry dish.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG
- 3 large onions sliced fine
- 3 medium-sized Tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 green chillies sliced fine
- 1 teaspoon red chillies flecks
- Salt to season
- Juice of 1 lime
- Slice and chop all the ingredients and place them in a serving bowl.
- Add chilli flecks and season with salt(careful with the salt).
- Pour in the lime juice and thoroughly mix with all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Make sure the taste is balanced, serve with your favorite rice and curry dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fullstar 9-in-1 Deluxe Vegetable Chopper Kitchen Gifts | Onion Chopper & Dicer | Peeler, Spiralizer, Zoodle Maker, Lemon Squeezer, Egg Slicer & Seperator- Ultimate Kitchen Gadget
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Food Storage Containers (Plastic Pack of 24)
Spice Container - Masala Dabba - 7 Compartments, masala box,steel masala dabba,Spice container box,stainless steel spice box indian masala dabba with 7 spice containers with size 8 X 8 inches (1)
Kitchen Shears, iBayam Kitchen Scissors Heavy Duty Meat Scissors Poultry Shears, Dishwasher Safe Food Cooking Scissors All Purpose Stainless Steel Utility Scissors, 2-Pack (Black Red, Black Gray)
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Chef Knife PAUDIN N1 8 inch Kitchen Knife, German High Carbon Stainless Steel Sharp Knife, Professional Meat Knife with Ergonomic Handle and Gift Box for Family & Restaurant
Pyrex Prepware 1-1/2-Quart Glass Mixing Bowl
AmazonCommercial Mixing Bowls, 7 Piece Set, Lids Not Included
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog.
I would appreciate it if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.