Coleslaw salad with mayonnaise made at home with just 5 ingredients.
A classic American salad to go with everything you dish out at picnics, especially grilled meats and burgers.
An easy salad for all seasons and occasions.
Finely sliced cabbage, carrots, a dash of pepper and creamy mayonnaise are the main ingredients in this easy coleslaw salad.
There’s no other salad that would please both adults and kids than a large bowl of creamy Coleslaw served with barbecued meat, burgers and hotdogs.
My kids love the KFC Coleslaw, so I tend to make the salad a few times a month at home.
Not only is it easy to make but you can also teach the kids to make it.
Don’t forget, this is one more sneaky way to get the kids to eat their carrots and cabbages without a fuss.
What to serve with classic coleslaw salad
- teriyaki marinade baked chicken.
- Tandoori chicken(oven-baked).
- Baked chicken legs(drumsticks).
- air fryer chicken drumsticks
- air fryer chicken leg quarters
Ever wondered what coleslaw is?
Coleslaw is basically a salad made using, mainly cabbage, there are many variations that coms under a slaw with extra ingredients, such as, carrots, onions.
The dressing for the salad can either be vinegar-based which will give you a tangy flavor or a creamy version using mayonnaise.
Depending on your lifestyle and how health-conscious you are, choose your own variation.
Me, I like this mayonnaise-based coleslaw because what I mentioned before on how easy it is to feed bowls of cabbage and carrots with ease.
Save the recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!
Utensils and appliances needed.
Knife and chopping board
Bowl for the Coleslaw
small bowl to mix the salad dressing.
Frequenty asked questions about the cabbage coleslaw
- Calculating how much cabbage you would need.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage would give you 4 cups of raw shredded cabbage since most groceries sell in weight, I would estimate you would need 400-500g or 14-15 oz. This would easily serve 5 individuals.
- How much cabbage will I need for 5 individuals?
- 400-500g of cabbage would give you 4 cups.
- Is there a substitute I can use instead of mayonnaise?
- You can substitute mayonnaise with non-fat Greek yoghurt.
- How to make the salad in a bag.
- Here’s an idea,
If you can buy the cabbage and carrot in pre-shredded packages, you can transfer them to a ziplock bag, make the Coleslaw dressing, add it to the bag, lock the bag in place, give it a good shake and refrigerate.
- Here’s an idea,
- How much cabbage will I need for 2?
- 200g of would give you 2 cups of cabbage that should be enough for 2 but as mentioned above, make a little extra to be on the safe side.
- This would roughly serve 4-5 individuals easily but buy a little more than the 500g mentioned here as there will be extra servings.
- How to keep the cabbage and carrot salad fresh when it’s hot?
- Well, all you need is a cold pack to keep it fresh.
More salad recipes.
- Sri Lankan fried eggplant/brinjal salad.
- Parsley salad(sambol)with coconut.
- carrot salad with parsley and onion.
- Thai beef salad
- Healthy garlic-olive oil potato salad.
- Zesty-pineapple cabbage slaw.
classic coleslaw salad with mayonnaise (homemade).
The ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
The ingredients to make coleslaw salad
1 large carrot sliced fine or grated coarsely
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise(increase or reduce as per your taste)
2 tablespoons of sugar(add more if necessary)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to season
1 tablespoon of lime juice(optional, only if you need a tang to the coleslaw)
Slice the cabbage thin and grate the carrots as well, make sure the carrots are grated using the large surface holes in a grater.
Place both the above ingredients in a large bowl.
Add mayonnaise, sugar, lime(optional) to the bowl and combine all ingredients until the vegetables are completely coated with mayonnaise.
Season with salt and pepper, since coleslaw tastes better slightly cold, once you make the salad, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
Let the Coleslaw rest for 2 hours before serving.
Before you serve the Coleslaw, give the salad a mix, check if you are satisfied with the seasoning then serve.
LOVE SEAFOOD? COME JOIN ME ON MY NEW SEAFOOD BLOG.
JOIN ME ON ISLANDSMILE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- Ingredients mentioned below use standard measuring cups and spoons.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage weighing(400-500g)
- 1 large carrot sliced fine or grated coarsely
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise(increase or reduce as per your taste)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar(add more if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to season
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice(optional, only if you need a tang to the coleslaw)
- Slice the cabbage thin and grate the carrots as well, make sure the carrots are grated using the large surface holes in a grater.
- Place both the above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, sugar, lime(optional) to the bowl and combine all ingredients until the vegetables are completely coated with mayonnaise.
- Season with salt and pepper, since coleslaw tastes better slightly cold, once you make the salad, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
- Let the Cole slaw rest for 2 hours before serving.
- Before you serve the Coleslaw, give the salad a mix, check if you are satisfied with the seasoning then serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics 12-Piece Color-Coded Kitchen Knife Set, 6 Knives with 6 Blade Guards, Multi-color
Bamboo Cutting Board Set with Juice Groove (3 Pieces) - Wood Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Wood Cutting Board Set, Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables
Basting Brush Silicone Heat Resistant Pastry Brushes Spread Oil Butter Sauce Marinades for BBQ Grill Barbecue Baking Kitchen Cooking, Baste Pastries Cakes Meat Desserts, Dishwasher safe, Set of 4
The Original Popco Tongs for Cooking - Set of 3 (7, 9, 12 inches) - Heavy Duty, 304 Stainless Steel BBQ and Kitchen Tongs with Silicone Tips (3 COLORS AVAILABLE)
CINEYO Premium Quality Manual Lemon and Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Juicer Press, Hand Juicer Kitchen Tool and Professional use,
KIZEN Digital Meat Thermometer with Probe - Waterproof, Kitchen Instant Read Food Thermometer for Cooking, Baking, Liquids, Candy, Grilling BBQ & Air Fryer - Black/White
Deiss PRO Lemon Zester & Heavy Duty Cheese Grater & Vegetable Grater — Parmesan Cheese Lemon, Garlic, Nutmeg, Chocolate, Fruits, Vegetables, Ginger Grater - Cheese Shredder & Stainless Steel Grater
Secura 60-Minute Visual Timer, Classroom Countdown Clock, Silent Timer for Kids and Adults, Time Management Tool for Teaching (Black)
Fullstar Vegetable Chopper - Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer - Onion Chopper with Container - Pro Food Chopper - Black Slicer Dicer Cutter - 4 Blades
Swedish Wholesale Swedish Dish Cloths - 10 Pack Reusable, Absorbent Hand Towels for Kitchen, Counters & Washing Dishes - Cellulose Sponge Cloth - Eco Friendly Gifts - Assorted
WISELIFE Kitchen Mat and Rugs Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Kitchen mats ,17.3"x 28",Non Slip Waterproof Kitchen Mats and Rugs Ergonomic Comfort Mat for Kitchen, Floor Home, Office, Sink, Laundry , Grey
Mueller Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline Cheese/Vegetable Slicer, Cutter, Shredder with Precise Maximum Adjustability
Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise, Squeeze, 20 oz, 3 count
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 46Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Each recipe on this blog has been written with great care and love to the best of my ability with you in mind.
It’s free and on the blog, for you to try anytime.
All I ask is that you do not save it on any apps, recipe boxes or online groups which will affect me as a food blogger and the growth of this blog. I would appreciate if you only share the link rather than the full recipe.
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright.